Today I am linking up again with A Beautiful Exchange and The Albrechts Blog to talk about my go-to meal! Enjoy!
Soooo my go-to meal is something that my family has made for a LONG time! It is one of those meals that reminds me of home. Beans and Rice. Yep, I like to call it poor man’s food because it is pretty cheap to make and it fills you up! Most people refer to ramen, mac n cheese, and pizza as cheap food for college people, but I probably had beans and rice at least twice a week while I was in college! I just love it and could never get sick of it!
On to the actual meal now. When most people think of beans and rice they think of hispanic food like black beans and rice or something like that. Not this beans and rice!
- 1 lb. of hamburger
- 1 can of french cut green beans (you can use fresh if you would like)
- Soy Sauce
- 1 Onion or Onion Powder
- White rice
Ohhh yeah! That is all you need and it is delicious!
How do you make it you say?
- The thing that takes the longest is the rice, so start cooking your rice first before starting the rest of it. I like to use a rice cooker so that I don’t have to keep and eye on it. If you don’t have one, you NEED to get one!
- Put the hamburger in a pan and season it with pepper. Add as much soy sauce as you would like to add some flavor to the meat. You notice I don’t say season it with salt. Soy sauce has plenty of salt in it so you don’t need to add salt by itself!
- Season it with onion. If you are like me and don’t like onions but like the flavor, you have two options. Option 1: Use onion powder and add as much as you would like. (I typically do about 1-2 Tbsp. I think) Option 2: Quarter the onion so that the pieces are big enough to pick out.
- Cook the meat until it is brown, then drain the fat out of the pan.
- Open your can of green beans, drain it, and put the green beans in the pan with the cooked meat.
- Cover the pan with a lid to heat up the green beans and cook the onions a little more.
- Once both the rice and the meat/beans are ready…put a mound of rice on a plate and top it with the meat and beans! Top it off with some soy sauce to add flavor to your rice and scoop it up with a piece of buttered bread!
Like I said before, I like to call this dish poor man’s food, but I love it and it is my absolute favorite dish that my family makes!
I hope you try it out and enjoy it as much as I do!
Thank you for reading!
What is YOUR go-to meal?